Project: St Mary's Church Stannington Northumberland. Type: Medieval Glass Conservation.

Image Gallery. (click to enlarge)

The Church of St Mary the Virgin Stannington, Northumberland approached us with a view to increasing the amount of light that came into the main body of the church, which was glazed with heavily patinated Victorian rolled glass in a diamond pattern.


It was suggested that new leaded glazing in a contemporary style was installed  to replace this and that it should be done with a glass that let in as much light as possible.
While inspecting the church three medieval heraldic shields were discovered crammed into  a single panel in the vestry. These had been heavily restored in 1951 and looked a sorry mess.


We removed the shields, undid the 1951 faux pas, reinstated much of the enamel and line work on backing plates and placed them in bronze framesunder isothermal conditions incorporated into new English Antique Glass plain lead glazing of our design within the main church.
The panels can now be viewed by both the congergation and visitors and are preserved for posterity.
With the aid of grants from The Worshipful Company of Glaziers, Northumbria Historic Churches Trust, The Garfield Weston Foundation and the Delhi Trust the shield have been, cleaned, paint reinstated and  conserved  within Isothermal conditions and incorporated into the new glazing scheme within the church
 

 

View all of Iona Art Glass project portfolio